Essayist / Education Consultant
- Born in Tokyo, Japan.
- Fumiko Senju entered “Nihon Joshi Sennmon Gakkou” (under the old system of education) and studied Japanese Literature.
- After World War II, she was part of the first class at the Kyouritsu Women’s University and entered the Life Science Department at the School of Domestic Arts. After graduation, she worked for The Society of Polymer Science.
- She then worked for Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd. She was a medical laboratory worker and engaged in the research of antibiotics, but she decided to quit after getting married.
- Her husband, Shizuo Senju was a professor emeritus at Keio University and a Doctor of Engineering.
- Together they raised 3 children who are now known as the 3 artistic siblings; Hiroshi (Japanese-style painter), Akira (Composer) and Mariko (Violinist).
- Since her husband’s death, Fumiko has been very active in the education field. She has held lectures, written about educational issues, made appearances on TV and radio.
- Books written by her include “Senju-ke no Kyoiku Hakusho” (Jiji Press/Shinchosha Co.), “Haha to Musume no Concerto” (Jiji Press), “Senju-ke ni Stradivarius ga Kita Hi” (Shincho Co.), “Senju-ke no Inochi no Monogatari” (Shincho Co.),and “Inochi no Oufuku Shokan 2011 – 2013 Haha no Gan, Shinzobyo o Norikoete (Co-written by Mariko Senju)” (Bungeishunju).
Books by Fumiko Senju